Self-storage companies around the country are offering tips to help people with the process of decluttering in preparation for the holidays. While many people like to store things in their closets, basements, and attics, others find that using self-storage greatly reduces the stress of the holidays. Using a self-storage unit can reduce stress in the following ways:
- A self-storage unit provides parents with a way to rotate unused toys out of circulation. Most parenting experts recommend that parents leave only a few toys out at a time for children to play with. When the current set of toys ceases to interest children, parents can rotate them into storage and rotate other toys out. It is best to keep only as many toys in circulation as children can reasonably be expected to put away on their own. Each toy should have a place in the home where it can be put away. If there are too many toys and not enough room, it’s best to get rid of some or to put some into storage, whether the storage is a closet or a self-storage unit. If toys stay in storage long enough, children may forget they have them — which is a good sign that they did not need so many toys in the first place.
- A self-storage unit is a good place to store seasonal clothing, such as spring and summer items. It’s also a good place to store large items that are not needed in the winter, such as beach chairs, a lawn mower, and children’s bicycles.
- A self-storage unit may be the answer to making room for holiday guests. Spare bedrooms or offices often become catch-alls for all sorts of items that are not being stored anywhere else. Once the spare bedroom or office is cleaned out, there is a pristine, beautiful space available for holiday guests.
- A self-storage unit can be a handy place to store holiday gifts, to prevent the intended recipient from finding them in a closet or under the bed. When a home is especially small and storage space is at a premium, putting gifts in storage can be a good way to keep them secret until you are ready to give them.
- After the holidays are over, a self-storage unit can be the perfect place to store seasonal decorations. Keeping decorations that have been in the family a long time or have sentimental value in a self-storage unit can be a good way to keep them safe and prevent them from getting lost among household items at home. Having seasonal items organized in a self-storage unit may also minimize the stress that would otherwise come from trying to find all the decorations again at the beginning of next year’s holiday season.