The clock is ticking down to January 1, 2014. That date is the deadline when the total law for “Obamacare” goes into effect.
The Self Storage Association (SSA), the official trade organization and voice of the American and International self storage-industry, announced that it has expanded its health insurance coverage. SSA members will now be able to participate in the SSA Health Insurance Marketplace, a private healthcare exchange program created by SSA partnering with MiniCo Insurance Agency.
This partnership includes a variety of programs that meet a wide range of insurance needs for those in the self storage industry. SSA members, their employees, and family members are eligible to participate in the health options. This includes full-time, part-time, seasonal, temporary, and contract workers.
The SSA Health Insurance Marketplace has several new options:
- Major medical insurance with deductive choices that fill federal mandates
- A free prescription savings program
- Short-term temporary medical insurance
With the Obamacare looming over employers, here are some issues that are getting a lot of their attention:
- Businesses or companies with at least 50 workers have to cover full-time employees’ health benefits
- Working “full-time” means working at least 30 hours per week
- Employers are required to extend health insurance coverage to employee’s children who are under the age of 26
- New regulations do not require that employees’ spouses be covered
- Employers that do not offer coverage to their full-time employees will pay a penalty of $2,000 per worker, per year
There could be several unforeseen consequences of the Obamacare Act. Small businesses may opt out of providing health insurance because the penalties are less costly than paying for the insurance itself. Employers may reduce the number of full-time workers they have or drop workers to a permanent part-time status. Health insurance companies across the country are implementing double-digit increases in premiums for some customers.
SSA members may visit http://www.SSAInsuranceMarketplace.com or call 888-226-6857 for detailed benefit information, state availability and rate information. This site can also provide members an immediate online quote.
The SSA is affiliated with 32 states and regional associations in the United States and five international organizations in Europe. Asia, Australia, Canada, Latin America, South America, and Japan.
MiniCo Insurance Agency, LLC, was founded in 1974. They provide specialty insurance and publications for the self storage industry. Along with their parent company, MiniCo Agency of Canada, Incorporated, is a member of the Aran Insurance Service Group.
Sources Used :
“Self Storage Association Partners with MiniCo to Offer Expanded Member Health Insurance Options.” PRWeb; 15 April 2012.
“Ring in Obamacare, Say Farewell to Full-Time Jobs.” Breitbart; 3 January 2013.
“Health Insurers Raise Some Rates by Double Digits.” The New York Times; 5 January 2013.