As summer comes to a close, it’s time to say hello to fall — and your fall wardrobe. That means making space for your light jackets, comfy sweaters, and all the new trends this season. Here are our tips for how to make room in your closet for fall fashion.
Empty your closet.
Tackle your closet head-on. Take everything out, placing all items on a table or bed. Bonus: This is also a great opportunity to give your closet a good cleaning.
Separate your clothes into three piles: keep, donate, and throw away. Know when you can part with some items: worn sandals, t-shirts ruined by sunscreen, denim shorts with too many holes. If there’s anything you were planning on wearing over the summer, but never did, chances are you won’t in the future either, which means that it can be given away.
Find storage for summer clothes.
Bye-bye, bikinis and boardshorts! Pack your summer wardrobe into labelled boxes or bins. Find space in your house or put them in a storage unit until next year.
Take inventory of your autumn wardrobe.
Go through your pants, sweaters, and other fall clothes to make sure everything still fits properly. Keep in mind that if there’s something you didn’t wear last year, you probably won’t wear it this year. Also, factor in the additions you’ll make to your wardrobe when you go shopping and update your look with fall fashion trends.
Evaluate your space.
Take a good look at your bare closet and evaluate the size of the space you’re dealing with. Place everything from your “keep” pile back in, making sure that each hanger is facing in the same direction — once you’ve worn an item, put it back in your closet with the hanger facing in the opposite direction so that you can easily determine how much you’re really wearing it and whether or not it can be tossed in the next round of cleaning.
- 5 Ways to Save Thanksgiving Recipes - November 17, 2015
- Should You Consider Moving Somewhere New? - November 12, 2015
- How to Preserve a Wedding Dress for Future Daughters - November 3, 2015
- 5 Storage Solutions for Father’s Day - June 9, 2015
- Not Your Mother’s Storage Solutions: 5 Crazy Ideas - May 8, 2015
- What Presidents Would Have in Their Storage Units - February 16, 2015
- 7 Things in Your Closet You Should Give to Charity - December 8, 2014
- 10 Cheap Ways to Keep Toasty This Winter - November 5, 2014
- 15 DIY Holiday Gifts to Start Creating Today - November 3, 2014
- Watch Out for These Scary Storage Nightmares - October 30, 2014