As summer comes to a close, it’s time to say hello to fall — and your fall wardrobe. That means making space for your light jackets, comfy sweaters, and all the new trends this season. Here are our tips for how to make room in your closet for fall fashion.
Empty your closet.
Tackle your closet head-on. Take everything out, placing all items on a table or bed. Bonus: This is also a great opportunity to give your closet a good cleaning.
Separate your clothes into three piles: keep, donate, and throw away. Know when you can part with some items: worn sandals, t-shirts ruined by sunscreen, denim shorts with too many holes. If there’s anything you were planning on wearing over the summer, but never did, chances are you won’t in the future either, which means that it can be given away.
Find storage for summer clothes.
Bye-bye, bikinis and boardshorts! Pack your summer wardrobe into labelled boxes or bins. Find space in your house or put them in a storage unit until next year.
Take inventory of your autumn wardrobe.
Go through your pants, sweaters, and other fall clothes to make sure everything still fits properly. Keep in mind that if there’s something you didn’t wear last year, you probably won’t wear it this year. Also, factor in the additions you’ll make to your wardrobe when you go shopping and update your look with fall fashion trends.
Evaluate your space.
Take a good look at your bare closet and evaluate the size of the space you’re dealing with. Place everything from your “keep” pile back in, making sure that each hanger is facing in the same direction — once you’ve worn an item, put it back in your closet with the hanger facing in the opposite direction so that you can easily determine how much you’re really wearing it and whether or not it can be tossed in the next round of cleaning.
- DIY Gifts from the Heart: Celebrate Your Valentine’s Achievements - February 5, 2016
- 5 Tips to Keep Your House Organized in the Winter - January 19, 2016
- The Ultimate Declutter Guide: Tips on How to Organize - January 14, 2016
- How to Set the Best New Year’s Resolutions - December 30, 2015
- Holiday Decorations to Create and Keep Forever - December 16, 2015
- The Perfect Gifts to Make for Loved Ones - December 7, 2015
- #GettingToTomorrow: The Best Advice for Making it Through Your Personal Apocalypse - December 4, 2015
- 5 Ways to Save Thanksgiving Recipes - November 17, 2015
- Should You Consider Moving Somewhere New? - November 12, 2015
- How to Preserve a Wedding Dress for Future Daughters - November 3, 2015