August 12 is a special day for Extra Space Storage. It’s not a birthday. It’s an anniversary!
On August 12, 2004, Extra Space Storage joined the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). That’s why we sometimes affectionately refer to ourselves as EXR, our stock symbol. It’s been a very good 10 years. Let’s break it down for a good snapshot.
EXR initial public offering, or IPO
$12.50 a share
EXR stock growth since 2004
More than 400 percent
How we’re doing
Recently, EXR has traded for more than $51 a share. In fact, EXR is a leading real estate investment trust, or REIT, for growth in stock price and total shareholder return.
What we’ve gained
Joining the NYSE helped the company access the capital needed to expand through acquisitions.
How our team has grown
From 377 employees in 2004 to 2,641 today, Extra Space Storage experienced a team growth of more than 600 percent.
How we’ve expanded
In 2004, Extra Space Storage had 136 locations. Today, we have 1,071 properties covering 79 million square feet of rentable space in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico.
How we’re still growing
With a diversified customer base, Extra Space Storage is in a good position to support continued strong growth.
What we think
Self storage is a recession-resistant business that has come out of the shadows and into the mainstream! As the second-largest self storage company in the U.S., we’re inspired by our tremendous opportunity to offer convenient and secure storage solutions to a growing number of customers.
Thank you for dropping by to help us celebrate our 10-year NYSE anniversary!
- Extra Space Storage honored as a Top Workplace in Utah - December 5, 2014
- Extra Space Storage Walks to Defeat Heart Disease - September 8, 2014
- Taking Home the Gold: Extra Space Storage Wins Which Test Won’s 2014 Email & Mobile Testing Awards - August 26, 2014
- Extra Space Storage Founder Interviewed on Bloomberg - August 15, 2014
- See How We’ve Grown: Extra Space Storage Marks 10-Year New York Stock Exchange Anniversary - August 12, 2014
- Extra Space Named a Top Investment Pick for 2014 - January 31, 2014
- New Spot for your Stuff in Downtown Chicago - December 20, 2013
- Family Feud Meets Self Storage – Infographic - December 4, 2013
- New Storage in Richmond, California - November 20, 2013
- Where to Stow your Bikes, Skis, and Boots in Colorado Springs - November 19, 2013