Packing for college can be daunting — and not just for the kids. As a parent, you’re likely concerned about whether or not your college freshman is fully prepared to live on his or her own. Here’s how you can ease your worries and help your kids pack for college.
Take them on a shopping trip.
During the month leading up to the big move, take them shopping (either at department stores or online) for the dorm room essentials (like bedding, a shower caddy, and a mini fridge). Tick off the major items from a college packing checklist.
Put together the laundry essentials.
This may be the first time in their lives that they’re going to be doing their laundry all on their own. Chances are, they’re going to need a quick lesson from you before they leave. Following this, help put together a laundry kit with all the necessary items (that they might not know they need).
These are a few things you might consider including in that laundry kit:
- Dryer sheets
- Laundry basket
- Drying rack
Remind them of the items they might forget about.
Let’s be honest: They don’t know what they don’t know. That’s where your wisdom and experience come in. Avoid the, “Ooops,” or “Can you send me my…” by pointing out the things that might not have occurred to them to pack.
Here are a few suggested items:
- Sewing kit
- Ear plugs
- Rain gear
- Water filter
- Cleaning supplies
- Power strip
- Clothes hangers
Pack a care-kit.
Make their dorm room feel a bit more like home by sending them off to college with an initial care package. It’s a simple way to let them know that you’ll always be there for them.
Here are some ideas for what to include:
- Favorite snacks
- Family photos
- Quarters for laundry
- Special note or card
- 5 Storage Solutions for Father’s Day - June 9, 2015
- Not Your Mother’s Storage Solutions: 5 Crazy Ideas - May 8, 2015
- What Presidents Would Have in Their Storage Units - February 16, 2015
- 7 Things in Your Closet You Should Give to Charity - December 8, 2014
- 10 Cheap Ways to Keep Toasty This Winter - November 5, 2014
- 15 DIY Holiday Gifts to Start Creating Today - November 3, 2014
- Watch Out for These Scary Storage Nightmares - October 30, 2014
- Tricks for Saving Your Halloween Treats - October 27, 2014
- 7 Ways To Make Your Neighbors Envy Your Yard This Fall - October 8, 2014
- 5 Wedding Gifts That Will Last Forever – Memories Live Here - September 19, 2014