Packing for college can be daunting — and not just for the kids. As a parent, you’re likely concerned about whether or not your college freshman is fully prepared to live on his or her own. Here’s how you can ease your worries and help your kids pack for college.
Take them on a shopping trip.
During the month leading up to the big move, take them shopping (either at department stores or online) for the dorm room essentials (like bedding, a shower caddy, and a mini fridge). Tick off the major items from a college packing checklist.
Put together the laundry essentials.
This may be the first time in their lives that they’re going to be doing their laundry all on their own. Chances are, they’re going to need a quick lesson from you before they leave. Following this, help put together a laundry kit with all the necessary items (that they might not know they need).
These are a few things you might consider including in that laundry kit:
- Dryer sheets
- Laundry basket
- Drying rack
Remind them of the items they might forget about.
Let’s be honest: They don’t know what they don’t know. That’s where your wisdom and experience come in. Avoid the, “Ooops,” or “Can you send me my…” by pointing out the things that might not have occurred to them to pack.
Here are a few suggested items:
- Sewing kit
- Ear plugs
- Rain gear
- Water filter
- Cleaning supplies
- Power strip
- Clothes hangers
Pack a care-kit.
Make their dorm room feel a bit more like home by sending them off to college with an initial care package. It’s a simple way to let them know that you’ll always be there for them.
Here are some ideas for what to include:
- Favorite snacks
- Family photos
- Quarters for laundry
- Special note or card
- 10 Summer Items You Should Store This Fall: Which Will You Choose? - September 16, 2014
- 5 Lessons TV’s New Girl Can Teach Us About Moving - September 15, 2014
- Don’t Miss These Top 10 Things to Do Before Summer Ends - September 12, 2014
- So, My Mom (or Dad) is Moving in! How to Cope? - September 10, 2014
- Goodbye Shorts, Hello Sweaters: How to Make Room for Fall Fashion - August 22, 2014
- 8 Easy, Crucial Steps to Follow for Moving Back In with Mom and Dad - August 8, 2014
- 7 Steps to Prepare Yourself for When Your Adult Child Moves Home - August 6, 2014
- And They’re Off! (How to Help Your Kids Pack for College) - August 4, 2014
- This One Tip is Guaranteed to Improve Your Yard Sale Turnout - July 30, 2014
- 5 Tips for Your Summer Yard Sale - July 10, 2014