Packing for college can be daunting — and not just for the kids. As a parent, you’re likely concerned about whether or not your college freshman is fully prepared to live on his or her own. Here’s how you can ease your worries and help your kids pack for college.
Take them on a shopping trip.
During the month leading up to the big move, take them shopping (either at department stores or online) for the dorm room essentials (like bedding, a shower caddy, and a mini fridge). Tick off the major items from a college packing checklist.
Put together the laundry essentials.
This may be the first time in their lives that they’re going to be doing their laundry all on their own. Chances are, they’re going to need a quick lesson from you before they leave. Following this, help put together a laundry kit with all the necessary items (that they might not know they need).
These are a few things you might consider including in that laundry kit:
- Dryer sheets
- Laundry basket
- Drying rack
Remind them of the items they might forget about.
Let’s be honest: They don’t know what they don’t know. That’s where your wisdom and experience come in. Avoid the, “Ooops,” or “Can you send me my…” by pointing out the things that might not have occurred to them to pack.
Here are a few suggested items:
- Sewing kit
- Ear plugs
- Rain gear
- Water filter
- Cleaning supplies
- Power strip
- Clothes hangers
Pack a care-kit.
Make their dorm room feel a bit more like home by sending them off to college with an initial care package. It’s a simple way to let them know that you’ll always be there for them.
Here are some ideas for what to include:
- Favorite snacks
- Family photos
- Quarters for laundry
- Special note or card
- DIY Gifts from the Heart: Celebrate Your Valentine’s Achievements - February 5, 2016
- 5 Tips to Keep Your House Organized in the Winter - January 19, 2016
- The Ultimate Declutter Guide: Tips on How to Organize - January 14, 2016
- How to Set the Best New Year’s Resolutions - December 30, 2015
- Holiday Decorations to Create and Keep Forever - December 16, 2015
- The Perfect Gifts to Make for Loved Ones - December 7, 2015
- #GettingToTomorrow: The Best Advice for Making it Through Your Personal Apocalypse - December 4, 2015
- 5 Ways to Save Thanksgiving Recipes - November 17, 2015
- Should You Consider Moving Somewhere New? - November 12, 2015
- How to Preserve a Wedding Dress for Future Daughters - November 3, 2015