Storage in a non-climate-controlled room can damage many types of things. Wine can turn to vinegar in low humidity. Photos can yellow and curl. Grandma’s antique credenza can suddenly look a lot more like a flea-market steal.
Trust me, grandma will not be amused by the crack in the credenza.
Musical instruments can also be easily damaged by extreme heat and cold, and changes in humidity. Violins, clarinets, and pianos left in storage without climate control can end up warped, cracked, and discolored. French horns, trombones, and trumpets can expand and contract, throwing them permanently out of tune. Skin drums can grow mold.
The last thing you want is a moldy drum.
Turns out that rock stars need climate control as much as orchestral soloists do. Guitars can warp and crack just like violins. And dust can wreak havoc with electric guitars, keyboards, and equipment like amplifiers and mixer boards.
Leaving his guitar and amp in a hot storage unit for a summer could leave even Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash playing like a high-school garage-band front man.
Here’s what Guns N’ Roses sounds like performing their iconic “Sweet Child O’ Mine” before Slash put his guitar in storage for the summer:
And here’s what they would probably sound like after:
This is not what you want. Don’t be like Slash without climate control. Your audience will thank you.
Check out http://www.extraspace.com/climate/ for information on climate controlled storage options near you.
- Moving with Pets - July 28, 2015
- Top 10 Shower Thoughts About Moving & Storage - July 24, 2015
- Tips that Fit Your Very Own Storage Personality - July 22, 2015
- 9 Heirloom Ideas to Start Now - July 20, 2015
- Nine Fun Ways To Wear 70’s Trends Today: What Has Your Family Kept That You Can Use? - July 15, 2015
- 5 Storage Solutions for Pet Owners - July 7, 2015
- Pre-pack Your Moving Truck Like it Matters - June 30, 2015
- 5 Unacceptable and Hilarious Places for Storage - June 24, 2015
- Plan to Destroy Your Moving Stress - June 23, 2015
- Extra Space Fans Give the Ultimate Baby Product Advice - June 18, 2015