A moving truck is probably the biggest automobile you’ll ever have to operate (unless that dream of driving a Monster Truck really does come true). While you’re moving or storing your stuff, make sure you follow these key tips for driving a moving truck.
1. Double check that everything is secure.
Balance the truck’s cargo weight so that your prized possessions don’t shift around. Then, make sure you’ve locked and padlocked the back of the truck.
2. Get familiar with the controls.
Is it stick shift or automatic? How do you work the radio and A/C? What are the windshield wiper settings? These are all questions you should learn the answer to by tinkering around before you set off down the road.
3. Know your clearance.
Memorize exactly how high your truck is so that you’ll always be able to judge whether or not you can effectively pass under garage ceilings or bridges. When in doubt, be cautious and avoid going under.
4. Understand your blind spots.
Because you’re more elevated, your truck has more drastic blind spots. Make sure that you’re always checking your mirrors and giving plenty of warning with your blinker when you change lanes or make a turn.
5. Plan for gas refills.
Allow for longer time pulling into the gas station. Check which side the tank opening is on and find a gas station with proper clearance.
6. Watch out for “curbing.”
Trucks need to make wider turns than you’re probably used to with your car. Make sure to have plenty of space to turn and go slower than you would normally so that you avoid damaging the tires against curbs (what we call “curbing”).
7. Back up the truck for easy unloading.
If you have drive-up storage, try positioning your truck’s opening near your unit. If it’s too tricky to back up in reverse, approach the entrance from the side.
- Downsizing 101: Moving to a Smaller House - April 27, 2015
- 10 Things Everyone Should Know Before Having Kids - April 23, 2015
- New Parents: Enjoy the Good Stuff Now - April 22, 2015
- 10 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Having a Baby - April 15, 2015
- How to Store Vinyl Records in 4 Easy Steps - April 14, 2015
- Extra Space Storage Shows Appreciation for their Outstanding Employees with the CEO Team of Excellence Award - April 10, 2015
- What Advice Would You Give to First-Time Parents? - April 9, 2015
- New Parents: Be Prepared for the Unexpected - April 8, 2015
- 5 Things You Didn’t Think to Store - April 2, 2015
- New Parents: You Have What it Takes - April 1, 2015