A moving truck is probably the biggest automobile you’ll ever have to operate (unless that dream of driving a Monster Truck really does come true). While you’re moving or storing your stuff, make sure you follow these key tips for driving a moving truck.
1. Double check that everything is secure.
Balance the truck’s cargo weight so that your prized possessions don’t shift around. Then, make sure you’ve locked and padlocked the back of the truck.
2. Get familiar with the controls.
Is it stick shift or automatic? How do you work the radio and A/C? What are the windshield wiper settings? These are all questions you should learn the answer to by tinkering around before you set off down the road.
3. Know your clearance.
Memorize exactly how high your truck is so that you’ll always be able to judge whether or not you can effectively pass under garage ceilings or bridges. When in doubt, be cautious and avoid going under.
4. Understand your blind spots.
Because you’re more elevated, your truck has more drastic blind spots. Make sure that you’re always checking your mirrors and giving plenty of warning with your blinker when you change lanes or make a turn.
5. Plan for gas refills.
Allow for longer time pulling into the gas station. Check which side the tank opening is on and find a gas station with proper clearance.
6. Watch out for “curbing.”
Trucks need to make wider turns than you’re probably used to with your car. Make sure to have plenty of space to turn and go slower than you would normally so that you avoid damaging the tires against curbs (what we call “curbing”).
7. Back up the truck for easy unloading.
If you have drive-up storage, try positioning your truck’s opening near your unit. If it’s too tricky to back up in reverse, approach the entrance from the side.
- The Essential Dos and Don’ts for Storing Your Summer Toys - October 2, 2015
- 4 Tips for Keeping Your Head in Emergencies - September 30, 2015
- Hunting 101: How to Store Your Animal Mounts - September 22, 2015
- 5 Life Transitional Moments You’ll Be Glad You Went Through - September 17, 2015
- How to Find Strength When Life is Hard - September 15, 2015
- Top 10 Ways to Get Through Hard Times - September 14, 2015
- Throw the Ultimate Football Viewing Party (Serious Fans Only) - September 10, 2015
- Five Inspiring Stories that will Help You Stay Hopeful - September 9, 2015
- Breaking Up: How to Move on and Move Out - September 3, 2015
- Can You Practice for Emergencies? - September 2, 2015