We recently offered up some tips for newlyweds on merging your stuff, but what if you’re planning a major move after the wedding? If planning a wedding wasn’t stressful enough, now you have to contend with the hassle of moving. Here are some tips on managing the move with your sweetheart:
Wedding planning will likely consume most of your time leading up to the big day. Therefore, you need to start packing for your move early – the sooner the better. You don’t want to end up completely overwhelmed with nothing packed the weekend before your move. Begin tackling your move at least six weeks out. Start by spending a few minutes each day packing up non-essentials. By the time the big move approaches, you’ll be more than ready.
Don’t Unwrap Gifts
Resist the urge to unwrap your wedding gifts right away. Your gifts are already perfectly packed away in neat boxes, so why take the time to unwrap them when you will only need to pack them back up? Save the unwrapping for a day once you’ve already settled into your new home.
Ask For Help
Most newlyweds don’t have the extra cash to spring for a moving company after paying for an expensive wedding. Instead, ask your friends for help. Invite your buddies to come over and help you pack, load up the moving van or unpack your belongings at your new place. Pay them with pizza, drinks, and great company.
Take Extra Care of Valuables
How would you feel if you broke your brand new wedding china or lost a treasured piece of jewelry during the move? If possible, wear your engagement and wedding ring so they don’t get lost. Keep other essentials, such as birth certificates, marriage certificate, passports, and any irreplaceable items like photos and sentimental belongings, with you at all times.
If you have more furniture than you can fit in your new space, consider renting a self-storage unit. Placing unused items in storage will help save time and money on moving day. Plus, you’ll be able to access your belongings at a later date if you move to a larger house or decide to switch up your décor.
Moving as a newlywed doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Be sure to plan ahead and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Before long, you and your sweetie will be settled into your new home and all the stress will melt away.
- How to Survive National Moving Day - May 18, 2015
- Unload Your Moving Truck Like a Professional - May 14, 2015
- Ready to Ride: Steps for Taking Your Vehicle Out of Storage - May 12, 2015
- You’re not Born Knowing How to Pack a Moving Truck - May 7, 2015
- New Parents: You’re Going to Love It - May 6, 2015
- New Storage Locations: We’re Growing in Texas and Arizona - May 4, 2015
- One New Storage Facility, Many Reasons to Love it - May 4, 2015
- Meet the New Storage Facilities in Southern California - May 1, 2015
- Clean and Pest-Free Storage is What You Can Expect - April 29, 2015
- Should You Actually Hire Movers? - April 28, 2015