When my husband and I decided to move to Egypt for a year, we could only make it work by moving out of our apartment and stashing all our stuff in self-storage.
We chose an Extra Space Storage facility (incidentally; this was before I wrote for this blog) and had our movers arrange all our couches, tables, and boxes, Tetris-like, in a 10’ x 10’ unit.
This is as it should be when you trust the security and management of the facility you’ve chosen. Storage is all about leaving your stuff in someone else’s hands so you can get your own hands dirty living an exciting life!
Our life—at least that year—did indeed turn out to be exciting. In late January 2011, halfway through our time in Egypt, revolution broke out.
You might have heard of this. You might have watched on CNN as the smoke billowed from burning buildings and the Egyptian government flew fast jets over the city to make sonic booms that would scare the civilians into behaving.
After a week or so, we were forced to flee amid the turmoil. We passed near Tahrir Square on the way to the airport (unable to use the ring road due to bands of roving thieves), and were stopped at checkpoint after checkpoint by locals who wanted to see if we had any weapons or were planning to cause any trouble.
And when we got home, there was our stuff waiting for us at the Extra Space Storage building, exactly as it was when we left it. What a comfort to see the familiar shapes of our armchairs and desks, our bed and our television.
We settled into a new apartment and carried on with life at home as if nothing had happened. But we often read about Egypt in the news and think back on our strange experience abroad.
It was an adventure. It taught us some profound things about the world. And that was only possible due to self-storage.
Katherine Gustafson is a freelance writer and editor with a background in international nonprofit organizations. Her first book, Change Comes to Dinner, about sustainable food, was published in 2012 by St. Martin’s Press. Find her online at www.katherinegustafson.com
- If Only There Was an App to do Your Move - October 17, 2014
- Smart and Valuable Fire Safety Self-Storage Tips - August 19, 2014
- 3 Tips for Coordinating Storage During Your Move - July 29, 2014
- A Revolutionary Adventure, Thanks to Self-storage - May 16, 2014
- How to Fit Everything You Own in a 5’ x 10’ Storage Unit - April 16, 2014
- Moving? Don’t Lose Sight Of Your Valuables! - November 18, 2013
- The Phenomenon Known as Organization Envy! - November 13, 2013
- One Man’s Trash is a Charity’s Treasure – Tips for Donating Your Excess Items - November 12, 2013
- 3 Design Concepts that Prevent Theft at Work - November 6, 2013
- Long-Term Travel Self Storage Tips - September 9, 2013