Remember when you used to make a gift for your mother in art class? She would place the less-than-perfect project by the kitchen window and talk about how much she loved it. Well, it’s time to get back to your roots this Mother’s Day! Plus, now that you’re all grown up you can make a more, ahem, perfect project!
Need another reason to be old-fashioned this Mother’s Day? How about making your own gift in honor of the 100th anniversary of Mother’s Day? To get started, take some inspiration from your storage unit! Your … storage unit? That’s right. There are lots of items in your storage unit just waiting to be turned into a fun Mother’s Day gift. Here are a few projects to get you started looking at your storage unit with new eyes.
Give New Life to Tired Bowls
Maybe you couldn’t bring yourself to throw out your old bowls, but they don’t have to sit in a box. Transform a few ordinary bowls in decorative lace bowls.
Turn an Old Mirror into Something Stunning
Mom will applaud your artistry when you repaint an old mirror or two or three. Try a fancy Pantone color to make your repainted mirrors pop.
Make Something Useful from that Old Bicycle
Take some inspiration from this Pottery Barn “bicycle” planter, but use a real bike for your planter. Bob Vila suggests that this bicycle planter project can be easily completed with the right paint and wire baskets.
Write Behind that Picture Frame
Broken glass in that frame? No problem! Remove the glass and back from an old decorative frame, and use it as a centerpiece on a chalkboard wall. (Of course, you’d want to have a pretty good idea that Mom is up for some surprise redecorating before doing this one!)
Put the Ladder Back to Work
Ah, the charm and potential of old ladders. Thrill Mom with a ladder photo display.
Whether you repurpose bowls or bikes, I hope you’ve found some inspiration to make this 100th Mother’s Day one to remember!
- 5 Steps to Deal with Photo Clutter – #5 Will Surprise You - May 19, 2014
- A Mother’s Day Gift Waiting in Your Storage Unit? - May 7, 2014
- 5 DIY Mother’s Day Gift Ideas - May 5, 2014
- How to Design Your Laundry Room - February 17, 2014
- How To Hold All That Love? DIY Valentine’s Boxes for Kids - February 5, 2014
- What To Buy (and Not Buy) at Thrift Stores - December 13, 2013
- Thrift: Creative Uses for Tupperware - December 11, 2013
- How To: Plan a Week’s Menu - November 15, 2013
- Bliss Kit Contest Winners: Creative Ways to Use Storage Boxes - September 20, 2013
- Best of the Web: Sustainability Infographics - December 12, 2012