It’s that time of year again. College students are experiencing the perfect storm: tackling their finals while having to pack up the contents of their dorm rooms or apartments. It’s a balancing act, to say the least. We may not be able to help you ace your exams, but we can help you become a packing champ. Use these tips for a (relatively) stress-free move out.
1. Clean up.
Let’s face it: the packing problem will look a whole lot simpler once the piles of clothes and papers are put in their place. Start by organizing–save the mopping and sweeping for when your room is empty.
2. Consider summer storage.
If you’ve accumulated a considerable amount of possessions over the school year (especially larger items) or if you live halfway across the country, you might need some extra space.
If you decide on self-storage, remember:
- Label all of your boxes.
- Defrost your fridge before storing.
- Take advantage of climate controlled storage for electronics and photographs.
- Wrap mirrors, vases, lamps, and other breakables in bubble wrap.
3. Sell your books.
Sell back any textbooks that you no longer need. Are you really going to be diving back into your Biology book anytime soon? If you hold onto them, your unwanted textbooks will only take up space. Might as well be free of them now. Use sites like Amazon or Chegg–or sell books back to the campus bookstore.
4. Divide and conquer.
Try to pack a part of your room each day leading up to move out. Start with the easy items (like wall hangings and decorations), then box up all electronics (after you’ve printed your final paper), wash and pack dishes, and then open your dresser drawers. As you go through the room, set aside all things that can be thrown out, recycled, or donated.
5. Final sweep.
After you’re all packed up, make sure to clean, vacuum, and sweep your room. Leave it just the way you found it. Give another look at move-out protocol (like having your room inspected by your R.A. or where to return your keys). Give one last look to ensure that you haven’t left anything behind, then say goodbye to your dorm room…and hello, summer vacation!
- The Top Organizing Tip You’ll Ever Learn - November 17, 2014
- 5 Toys Your Kids Played With You Shouldn’t Throw Away - November 14, 2014
- Extra Space Storage Customer Turns Into a Hero for Veterans - November 11, 2014
- The Haunted House of Clutter – 12 Tips to Prevent Scary Clutter - October 29, 2014
- Fame, Sweet Fame - October 17, 2014
- DIY Fun: Hands-on Projects for Kids - October 15, 2014
- Tidy Ways to Organize Ugly Pet Supplies - October 13, 2014
- Creative Pet Nooks You’ll Fall Hard For - October 4, 2014
- 6 Spooktacular Halloween Costumes You Can Make Yourself - October 3, 2014
- Larry Crowne Affair – Storage Shows - September 11, 2014