With carbon footprints on our minds these days, it’s no surprise that more and more of us are deciding to live smaller and lighter.
There’s an entire movement dedicated to downsizing living space, which requires being much more critical about how much stuff one really needs.
Are you interested in going smaller but not sure how you’d manage it? Here are 15 stellar tips to show you that it really is possible:
- Measure the new space to get a sense of what will and won’t fit
- Trade your furniture out for smaller, lower-profile versions
- Purge as you move, keeping only what you love and will definitely have room for
- Use vertical space by installing tall bookcases and loft beds, and hanging shelves, racks, and cabinets
- Multi-task furniture by having storage space in every piece possible, like under the bed and in the ottoman, and using convertible pieces like futons and fold-up tables
- Use every space, like backs of doors, above kitchen cabinets, and under furniture
- Double-up room uses, such as using a futon or fold-out to change your living room into a guest room when needed
- Go paperless, especially on high-volume items like magazines and newspapers
- Pare down your book collection, retaining only those you can’t easily borrow elsewhere or you really love having at hand
- Rent or borrow anything you don’t use often, like camping gear, ski stuff, and power tools
- Get smaller versions of appliances and electronics, like a stick blender instead of a countertop blender, and a laptop instead of a desktop
- Mount small appliances, stemware, and paper towels under the kitchen cabinets
- Wall-mount your TV
- Rig up your computer to do double-duty as a multi-media entertainment system
- Use stackable, sealable plastic containers to store everything from groceries to linens
The growing interest in going small-scale means there’s plenty more advice out there online. A few quick searches for downsizing, scaling down, tiny house movement, loft living, and other similar terms will deliver a flood of ideas.
With a few good ideas, some wise changes, and a little elbow grease, you’ll be living small in no time.
Photo: Nicolás Boullosa
- 7 Reactions to Storage That Will Make You Laugh - April 21, 2015
- Bigger IS Better, Right? - April 16, 2015
- Five More Storage Containers You Can Make Yourself - February 19, 2015
- There’s No Overpopulation Here - February 12, 2015
- Make These 7 New Year’s Resolutions to Conquer Clutter in 2015 - December 26, 2014
- The Luxurious World of Self Storage - December 17, 2014
- The Top Organizing Tip You’ll Ever Learn - November 17, 2014
- 5 Toys Your Kids Played With You Shouldn’t Throw Away - November 14, 2014
- Extra Space Storage Customer Turns Into a Hero for Veterans - November 11, 2014
- The Haunted House of Clutter – 12 Tips to Prevent Scary Clutter - October 29, 2014