Are you looking to store your vehicle, but don’t know what type of unit to rent? Both drive-up indoor and outdoor vehicle storage units have their benefits. Your decision will ultimately depend on the vehicle you plan to store, the level of protection you need, and your budget. Here are some factors to consider:
Protection From the Elements
Drive-up interior storage units are enclosed with roll-up doors like a garage. These units offer a high level protection from the elements and some even provide climate control. They are ideal for storing vintage or custom sports cars that need a high level of attention and upkeep.
Outdoor storage spaces typically consist of a parking space and a roof. They offer just the right amount of protection for short-term storage or for older, less valuable vehicles that don’t require a consistent environment.
Drive-up indoor storage units are typically the size of a one-car garage. Outdoor storage spaces, on the other hand, are more flexible in terms of size. These units are perfect for storing larger vehicles, such as RVs or trucks. Before you rent out a unit, be sure to check the dimensions of your car, including the width of the open door. Also consider the size of any trailer or any other equipment you wish to store with the vehicle.
Though outdoor spaces offer protection with cameras and a locked gate, drive-up interior units offer a higher level of security and privacy. The ability to close up and lock indoor units gives many renters extra peace of mind, knowing their expensive vehicles will stay safe.
Access to Storage
You should also think about how often you will need access to your storage unit. If you plan on using your vehicle frequently, you may wish to choose an outdoor space near the entrance to the facility to allow you to drive in and out easily.
Outdoor storage is the least expensive storage option. However, drive-up garage space offers more security and a level of protection that can negate the extra cost when storing valuable classic or custom cars.
Choosing between outdoor and indoor storage space isn’t difficult. With a little extra consideration, you can find the perfect fit for you.
Which type of storage do you prefer for your vehicle?
- Larry Crowne Affair – Storage Shows - September 11, 2014
- A Real Unit for A “Real” Moment – Storage Shows - August 14, 2014
- You’ll Deeply Regret Throwing Away These 5 Sentimental Items – Memories Live Here - August 13, 2014
- Dill Chill – Strange Storage Unit - July 18, 2014
- Announcing our Vine Contest Winners! - July 16, 2014
- The Night Time Storage Unit Pianist - July 15, 2014
- 5 Star Hotel? Actually It’s a Self Storage Facility. - July 14, 2014
- Workin’ on my Fitness – Storage Style - July 10, 2014
- 6 Great Spaces We Love - July 7, 2014
- Using vertical space to solve your storage woes. - June 30, 2014