Now the question is which of the facilities in the area to sign on with. What are helpful questions to ask when you visit? Take this list with you and you’ll be on your way.
How will your stuff be treated?
- Does the facility have units of the size and type you’ll need?
- Can you get a sufficiently convenient unit, with drive-up access or proximity to a door?
- Does the facility have climate-controlled units, if needed?
- What are the site’s security measures, such as coded entry, secure elevators, and camera surveillance?
- Can you rent a unit with its own alarm?
- How frequently are units checked for leaks, pests, and other problems?
- Does the building have smoke alarms and a sprinkler system?
- Have there been any break-ins or other security issues?
How will you be treated?
- How and at what hours will you be able to access your unit?
- Can you call the on-site manager directly?
- What hours is the manager available and what kinds of questions can he answer?
- How responsive is the company’s customer service?
- Can you have packages delivered to the facility?
- Can the facility provide references of satisfied customers?
How will your wallet be treated?
- What monthly rate will you be paying for the size and type of unit you want to rent?
- Are there any discounts or signing deals available?
- Are there any hidden add-ons to the rate like admin fees, move-in fees, or deposits?
- Can you lock in your rate for a certain period of time?
- Can you get a discount by paying in advance?
- Does the rate quoted include insurance?
What other questions would you ask? What red flags would you look for? Which factor is the most important in choosing a storage space?
- How to Pack Wine Glasses (The Easy Way) - May 14, 2014
- Cheat Sheet: Your Moving Day Checklist - May 12, 2014
- Just How Big is that Storage Unit? - May 9, 2014
- Safely Store Your RV - April 28, 2014
- 5 Tips for Packing Your Stuff for Storage - April 21, 2014
- Storing Your Cold-Weather Items - April 14, 2014
- Right-sizing Your Storage Unit - April 9, 2014
- Spring-cleaning Your Storage Unit - April 4, 2014
- Meet the Storage Unit Size Calculator - March 31, 2014
- How to Monitor Your Storage Unit’s Climate Control - March 24, 2014