I don’t know about you, but the words “window treatment” strike fear into my non-crafty heart. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been left pulling my hair out as I try to properly measure, purchase, and install curtains, shades, and their infuriating hardware.
Unfortunately, short of nailing a random square of fabric over your window, there’s no way around measuring and putting up a rod if you want to hang curtains. But you can make the process of procuring window treatments much more enjoyable by doing some of the creative work yourself.
Thankfully, you don’t need to know how to sew to make some pretty cute curtains for your place. And since you’ve made them yourself, you’ll be all the most likely to love them. Plus, they’re cheaper this way!
A casual look around the Web offers some fabulous no-sew ideas for your windows. Here are a few of the best:
Better Homes and Gardens shows readers how to make cute café curtains out of patterned cloth napkins. All you need is the napkin and a rivet and grommet kit, sold at fabric stores.
Shanty 2 Chic provides a step-by-step guide on how to make “expensive and custom looking curtains for nearly nothing.”
My Home Ideas gives readers a run-down of various no-sew ways to hang fabric from a curtain rod, opening up endless curtainy possibilities.
The Everyday Home offers advice on making a no-sew roman shade with a chevron pattern created with hemming tape and chalk paint.
MADE + remade publishes detailed directions for making your own blackout shades to keep your bedroom nice and dark.
Ducklings in a Row has a thorough description of how to make a roman shade; this one’s a bit more complicated that others, requiring something call “ring tape,” as well as wood, dowels, and eyehooks. But even so, no sewing!
Have you ever made your own curtains or blinds? What is your best advice for someone looking to make a stylish window covering without spending a lot or firing up a sewing machine?
- Colorado Springs Gains 24/7 Access Storage Option - November 14, 2013
- Bring Fall to you With a DIY Fall Festival - November 11, 2013
- Fast-Growing Palm Coast, Florida, Gets the Storage it Needs - November 9, 2013
- DIY: No-sew Curtains and Shades - November 4, 2013
- Three Easy Ways to Decorate Your Home for Fall - November 1, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Halloween Tricks and Treats - October 30, 2013
- Why Getting Your Deck Ready for Winter isn’t as Bad as You Think - October 25, 2013
- Survive Fall Sports Season With These Storage Tips - October 21, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Decorating with Fall Colors - October 18, 2013
- Would you Peg Your Storage with SmartJars? New idea on Kickstarter - October 16, 2013