Moving as it is usually done is one of the more eco-unfriendly things we do. As I noted in my previous post on the topic, moving house can add as many as 90 cardboard boxes and thousands of square feet of bubble wrap to the landfill, not to mention emissions from driving trucks around the landscape.
That’s why the green moving industry is taking off, with one aspect of it in particular growing so fast it’s shooting for the stars. Whether you’re an entrepreneur looking for a good opportunity or a homeowner getting ready for your next move, check out the emerging field of green box rental.
A growing number of companies are tapping into people’s desire not to deal with—and discard—cardboard boxes when they move. They are instead renting out various types of reusable boxes, oftentimes delivering and picking them up as part of the service.
Rent a Green Box, which serves the Los Angeles area and claims to be the “first zero-waste pack and move solution in America,” advertizes that box rental is not just greener and easier than using cardboard, but also less expensive. New cardboard boxes can indeed be pricey. And used ones, though cheaper and sometimes free, often have the disadvantage of being bent, dirty, and inconveniently sized.
It’s no wonder a small army of companies is moving to attack the monopoly of the cardboard box. Rent a Green Box is joined by the likes of Tyga Box (with nationwide reach), Juggle Box (serving New York City and environs), ZippGo (serving the San Francisco Bay area), and Frog Box (moving people “from one pad to another” across the northern U.S. and southern Canada).
The sturdy plastic bins these companies provide have advantages beyond just not being cardboard. Their self-securing design eliminates the need for reams of packing tape, and their uniform sizes mean they stack well for efficient use of space and easy transport.
It’s fair to say moving is moving into the 21st century, one box at a time.
Will you consider cutting out the cardboard next time you relocate?
- 10 Cheap Ways to Keep Toasty This Winter - November 5, 2014
- 15 DIY Holiday Gifts to Start Creating Today - November 3, 2014
- Watch Out for These Scary Storage Nightmares - October 30, 2014
- Tricks for Saving Your Halloween Treats - October 27, 2014
- 7 Ways To Make Your Neighbors Envy Your Yard This Fall - October 8, 2014
- 5 Wedding Gifts That Will Last Forever – Memories Live Here - September 19, 2014
- 10 Summer Items You Should Store This Fall: Which Will You Choose? - September 16, 2014
- 5 Lessons TV’s New Girl Can Teach Us About Moving - September 15, 2014
- Don’t Miss These Top 10 Things to Do Before Summer Ends - September 12, 2014
- So, My Mom (or Dad) is Moving in! How to Cope? - September 10, 2014