During your move, you will undoubtedly be looking for ways to decrease costs. Besides “perks” like the points you earn for gift cards and discounts when you plan your move with Moveboxer, there are other ways to save money on your move. Below are a few tips for doing just that through the various stages of you move.
1. Plan Ahead
Shop around well in advance for movers and other services you will need. Decide whether you will be working with full-service or self-service movers, or renting a truck and taking care of it yourself. Call various companies and get quotes as soon as possible. Take note of these quotes, and write down any other information that might be useful in making your decision. Taking the time to determine the most affordable option will be worth it. You’ll also be able – with proper information – to choose the right company and people to work with, ensuring that you are provided with the best service for your money.
2. Buy Items in Bulk
You are going to need trash bags, tape, packaging materials, and boxes. You can buy from discount stores, office supply stores, or Extra Space Storage® offers boxes and packing supplies for purchase at our facilities. You can also “shop” from your friends or family. People will have boxes lying around for various reasons, as well as other odds and ends. Don’t be afraid to ask people you know for necessary materials. There are plenty of people out there looking to recycle boxes or get rid of other moving-related supplies.
3. Keep Your Receipts
Keep your receipts, because depending on the reasons and conditions for your move, you can get some moving expenses deducted from your taxes. Take a look at the IRS’s Moving Expenses Guidelines for more information.
4. Make a Budget
And, of course, organize your purchasing needs as thoroughly as possible. Lay out exactly what you may need to buy for things like staging your house, packing your belongings, getting furniture safely to your new home, and the actual move to your new home. Moving specialists like Moveboxer provide you with outlines for planning each step of the process.
Marina Vernovsky is a writer for Moveboxer.com. Moveboxer matches people up with reputable movers and helps line up all details for their move, such as storage, boxes, supplies, and car transport.
- If Only There Was an App to do Your Move - October 17, 2014
- Smart and Valuable Fire Safety Self-Storage Tips - August 19, 2014
- 3 Tips for Coordinating Storage During Your Move - July 29, 2014
- A Revolutionary Adventure, Thanks to Self-storage - May 16, 2014
- How to Fit Everything You Own in a 5’ x 10’ Storage Unit - April 16, 2014
- Moving? Don’t Lose Sight Of Your Valuables! - November 18, 2013
- The Phenomenon Known as Organization Envy! - November 13, 2013
- One Man’s Trash is a Charity’s Treasure – Tips for Donating Your Excess Items - November 12, 2013
- 3 Design Concepts that Prevent Theft at Work - November 6, 2013
- Long-Term Travel Self Storage Tips - September 9, 2013