Moving, the way it’s typically done, is a very wasteful activity. Moving a house can take as many as 90 disposable boxes and thousands of square feet of bubble wrap. That’s not to mention the emissions from the trucks that haul your stuff around the landscape.
It doesn’t have to be that way. Green moving is on the way up.
Mother Nature Network tells us the story of Mark Ehrhardt, president of Movers Not Shakers, a green moving company with trucks that run on biodiesel. Stuck in traffic behind a delivery truck that was using plastic crates to transport goods, Ehrhardt realized that getting even greener was always possible.
So he started a national network of moving companies that are reducing waste and pollution. The site he created, Green Movers USA, helps customers find green movers, get quotes, and learn more about the green moving process.
The companies listed on the site use recyclable boxes, reusable plastic bins, corn-based packing material, and hybrid or biodiesel-powered moving trucks, as well as offering carbon dioxide offset credits.
Other eco-minded options companies have adopted our paperless office systems and box exchange programs. Moishe’s, a moving company in New York City, is shredding used cardboard boxes to create recycled packing material.
If you’re moving by yourself and still want to get in on the green-moving action, you can turn to Rent a Green Box to—you guessed it—rent some green boxes recycled from plastic refuse. Billing itself as the “first zero-waste pack and move solution in America,” the company claims to be the most award-winning small green company in the country.
The boxes, which come in three sizes, can be rented for two weeks at a time and are dropped off and picked up free of charge by the company’s staff. Rent a Green Box also offers various eco-friendly packing materials and labels that grow into snapdragons when planted.
Now that’s what I call earth-friendly moving.
What kind of experiences have you had with moving? Would you consider hiring a green moving company next time you lift up roots?
- Watch Out for These Scary Storage Nightmares - October 30, 2014
- Tricks for Saving Your Halloween Treats - October 27, 2014
- 7 Ways To Make Your Neighbors Envy Your Yard This Fall - October 8, 2014
- 5 Wedding Gifts That Will Last Forever – Memories Live Here - September 19, 2014
- 10 Summer Items You Should Store This Fall: Which Will You Choose? - September 16, 2014
- 5 Lessons TV’s New Girl Can Teach Us About Moving - September 15, 2014
- Don’t Miss These Top 10 Things to Do Before Summer Ends - September 12, 2014
- So, My Mom (or Dad) is Moving in! How to Cope? - September 10, 2014
- Goodbye Shorts, Hello Sweaters: How to Make Room for Fall Fashion - August 22, 2014
- 8 Easy, Crucial Steps to Follow for Moving Back In with Mom and Dad - August 8, 2014