Last year, my friend Anna wrote an article for organizing summer with kids. It was so fun, I asked her if she had any new ideas for this summer and she did! Thanks again, Anna. – Jessica Johnson
Did you have a Movie Monday? We decided last Monday to have a Netflix marathon. The weather was so beautiful, though, that I made the kids get outside and play some tetherball. It also made me really excited for Trail Tuesdays. Depending on where you live, you might need to get outside earlier in the day or in the evenings. Last Tuesday, we still had time to do chores and a little math work (I’m a tyrant!) before driving up to the trailhead.
I’ve compiled a few tips for setting out on your hikes for Trail Tuesdays below.
Try one of these websites to find a trail near you:
- Local Hikes provides hiking trails near most major metropolitan cities.
- Trails.com is my favorite for checking out some good outdoor paths.
- Every Trail claims to know the best hiking trails in your area.
- This book—60 Hikes Within 60 Miles—is our family favorite. In case you live near me, too, check it out!
A few things to remember to bring:
- Good hiking or walking shoes
- Water for everyone. We switch off carrying a daypack like this with bottles of water and snacks in it. A couple of kids also wear a camelbak, as well.
- Snacks. Trail mix, beef jerky, apples, granola bars. Whatever you take out, remember to pack back in.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat
- A small first aid kit. There will be scratches and scrapes. Be prepared for them.
We love to hike. Where we live, there are twenty trails within twenty minutes—no joke. I made a quick list of all of the hikes we haven’t done and a few we want to do again. Our local bookstore has multiple books with local trails. Check your library and bookstore for hiking books in your area.
You can always “hike” park trails and similar paths. Do you hike with your kids? What kind of activities do you like to do with your kids during these long, hot days? What do you like to bring on family hikes?
- Colorado Springs Gains 24/7 Access Storage Option - November 14, 2013
- Bring Fall to you With a DIY Fall Festival - November 11, 2013
- Fast-Growing Palm Coast, Florida, Gets the Storage it Needs - November 9, 2013
- DIY: No-sew Curtains and Shades - November 4, 2013
- Three Easy Ways to Decorate Your Home for Fall - November 1, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Halloween Tricks and Treats - October 30, 2013
- Why Getting Your Deck Ready for Winter isn’t as Bad as You Think - October 25, 2013
- Survive Fall Sports Season With These Storage Tips - October 21, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Decorating with Fall Colors - October 18, 2013
- Would you Peg Your Storage with SmartJars? New idea on Kickstarter - October 16, 2013