I love cities, but sometimes they can be a bit lacking in green spaces. That’s one of the reasons I like rooftop gardens. When you can’t plant in the ground, why not plant on your roof? Rooftop gardens can be created using containers, or planted directly on the roof using a waterproof membrane, insulation and a root barrier.
Rooftop gardens have been popular for a long time in Europe, and in recent years they’re also popping up in the U.S.
Extra Space Storage’s Rooftop Garden
The Extra Space Storage facility at 8301 River Road in North Bergen, New Jersey contains a rooftop garden featuring several shrubs, grasses and some flowering plants. It’s a nice green space with some great views of New York City!
While the North Bergen storage facility escaped damage from Superstorm Sandy, the rooftop garden didn’t fare as well. The high winds destroyed flowers and bushes, and took away a lot of dirt. But we won’t let this be the end. We’re planning on restoring our rooftop garden!
Advantages of Rooftop Gardens
So, why are more businesses deciding to install rooftop gardens, or green rooftops? There are many good reasons! In addition to the beauty provided by green spaces, the rooftops also offer other advantages. With a rooftop garden, you can:
- Grow local food, such as tomatoes.
- Cut down on storm runoff with a layer of succulents.
- Insulate your building to save energy.
- Reduce temperature of roof surface and surrounding air.
- Help clean the air.
Think about this: The EPA says that on hot days, the surface of a green roof can be cooler than the air temperature, but the surface of a conventional roof is up to 90° F warmer! A cooler roof means lower energy usage. So, rooftop gardens are not only aesthetically appealing, they also make sense from an environmental standpoint.
Would you consider planting a rooftop garden? If so, what plants would you include?
- Don’t Miss These Top 10 Things to Do Before Summer Ends - September 12, 2014
- So, My Mom (or Dad) is Moving in! How to Cope? - September 10, 2014
- Goodbye Shorts, Hello Sweaters: How to Make Room for Fall Fashion - August 22, 2014
- 8 Easy, Crucial Steps to Follow for Moving Back In with Mom and Dad - August 8, 2014
- 7 Steps to Prepare Yourself for When Your Adult Child Moves Home - August 6, 2014
- And They’re Off! (How to Help Your Kids Pack for College) - August 4, 2014
- This One Tip is Guaranteed to Improve Your Yard Sale Turnout - July 30, 2014
- 5 Tips for Your Summer Yard Sale - July 10, 2014
- 4 Steps for Taking Your Boat Out of Storage - July 3, 2014
- 5 Storage Tips from America’s Founding Fathers - July 2, 2014