I love cities, but sometimes they can be a bit lacking in green spaces. That’s one of the reasons I like rooftop gardens. When you can’t plant in the ground, why not plant on your roof? Rooftop gardens can be created using containers, or planted directly on the roof using a waterproof membrane, insulation and a root barrier.
Rooftop gardens have been popular for a long time in Europe, and in recent years they’re also popping up in the U.S.
Extra Space Storage’s Rooftop Garden
The Extra Space Storage facility at 8301 River Road in North Bergen, New Jersey contains a rooftop garden featuring several shrubs, grasses and some flowering plants. It’s a nice green space with some great views of New York City!
While the North Bergen storage facility escaped damage from Superstorm Sandy, the rooftop garden didn’t fare as well. The high winds destroyed flowers and bushes, and took away a lot of dirt. But we won’t let this be the end. We’re planning on restoring our rooftop garden!
Advantages of Rooftop Gardens
So, why are more businesses deciding to install rooftop gardens, or green rooftops? There are many good reasons! In addition to the beauty provided by green spaces, the rooftops also offer other advantages. With a rooftop garden, you can:
- Grow local food, such as tomatoes.
- Cut down on storm runoff with a layer of succulents.
- Insulate your building to save energy.
- Reduce temperature of roof surface and surrounding air.
- Help clean the air.
Think about this: The EPA says that on hot days, the surface of a green roof can be cooler than the air temperature, but the surface of a conventional roof is up to 90° F warmer! A cooler roof means lower energy usage. So, rooftop gardens are not only aesthetically appealing, they also make sense from an environmental standpoint.
Would you consider planting a rooftop garden? If so, what plants would you include?
- DIY Gifts from the Heart: Celebrate Your Valentine’s Achievements - February 5, 2016
- 5 Tips to Keep Your House Organized in the Winter - January 19, 2016
- The Ultimate Declutter Guide: Tips on How to Organize - January 14, 2016
- How to Set the Best New Year’s Resolutions - December 30, 2015
- Holiday Decorations to Create and Keep Forever - December 16, 2015
- The Perfect Gifts to Make for Loved Ones - December 7, 2015
- #GettingToTomorrow: The Best Advice for Making it Through Your Personal Apocalypse - December 4, 2015
- 5 Ways to Save Thanksgiving Recipes - November 17, 2015
- Should You Consider Moving Somewhere New? - November 12, 2015
- How to Preserve a Wedding Dress for Future Daughters - November 3, 2015