Clutter is the bane of an organized existence—it’s a constant battle to keep the mess of possessions in our lives from bursting into chaos. Here are a few good tips for keeping things straight in various rooms of the house.
- Store linens in drawers. Linen closets are notoriously hard to keep straight, since pulling a sheet out of the middle of a stack all but guarantees an avalanche of fabric. A better way to keep your linens from getting that cluttered, crumpled look is to store them in drawers.
- Subdivide your drawers. Almost all drawers could benefit from being divided up into sections to keep the contents from mixing into a chaotic jumble. You can buy special dividers for this purpose, or fashion your own using cardboard pieces, Tupperware containers, or shoeboxes.
- Put papers in your closet. If you’re not the filing-cabinet type and you have an extra shelf in your closet, use magazine holders to file your personal and professional papers. Organize your documents into categories like taxes, loans, car, owner manuals, etc.
- Help your kids weed out their toys. You might be surprised how many of your children’s toys they don’t want anymore and would be willing to donate to charity. Starting around age three, especially, kids can be encouraged to do a regular weeding-out to cut down on the clutter.
- Get the right food storage containers. The packages food comes in are designed for display, not proper storage. So stock your pantry with sturdy, see-through food containers in a range of sizes and store as many of your dry goods as you can this way. It will keep the food fresh longer and cut down on that cluttered look in your cupboard.
- Colorado Springs Gains 24/7 Access Storage Option - November 14, 2013
- Bring Fall to you With a DIY Fall Festival - November 11, 2013
- Fast-Growing Palm Coast, Florida, Gets the Storage it Needs - November 9, 2013
- DIY: No-sew Curtains and Shades - November 4, 2013
- Three Easy Ways to Decorate Your Home for Fall - November 1, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Halloween Tricks and Treats - October 30, 2013
- Why Getting Your Deck Ready for Winter isn’t as Bad as You Think - October 25, 2013
- Survive Fall Sports Season With These Storage Tips - October 21, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Decorating with Fall Colors - October 18, 2013
- Would you Peg Your Storage with SmartJars? New idea on Kickstarter - October 16, 2013
Have you used any of these techniques? What other decluttering tips do you recommend?