Since Mother Nature can be so unpredictable, it’s one of my goals to make sure properties and the people in them are safe before the worst happens. I believe that the most important work is to mitigate loss happens before a disaster. Superstorm Sandy was a huge, rather freakish storm, but we were well prepared, and only a few properties sustained major damage.
Before I describe how the storm affected our properties, I’d like to share that our hearts are with all families who experienced any kind of loss due to Sandy. I hope that in this difficult time, we’ll all find a unity of purpose in helping each other recover. For more information on how to assist people in the particularly hard-hit state of New Jersey, visit Hurricane Sandy NJ Relief Fund.
Properties Affected by Sandy
Sandy impacted more than 50 Extra Space Storage properties in New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts and Illinois. In most cases, damage was minimal, and we’re back to normal business. However, repairs are ongoing at three properties with the biggest flood damage: Hoboken, New Jersey; Freeport, New York; and Staten Island.
Solar Panels Were Tougher than Sandy
You may remember me sharing details on the properties with solar panels in New Jersey. I’m happy to say that the solar panels withstood Sandy just fine! In fact, the panels are rated to withstand winds much stronger than Sandy produced. If only flood prevention were as easy as keeping solar panels intact!
Importance of Protecting Belongings
The unfortunate truth is that sometimes flooding is nearly impossible to prevent. So, we always stress the importance of protecting personal belongings in storage with flood insurance. We want your belongings to stay in great shape! That’s why, starting soon, Extra Space Storage will begin offering our own flood insurance to customers. Please check back soon for more details.
Were you affected by Sandy? Did the storm make you rethink your current flood insurance?
- How to Pack Wine Glasses (The Easy Way) - May 14, 2014
- Cheat Sheet: Your Moving Day Checklist - May 12, 2014
- Just How Big is that Storage Unit? - May 9, 2014
- Safely Store Your RV - April 28, 2014
- 5 Tips for Packing Your Stuff for Storage - April 21, 2014
- Storing Your Cold-Weather Items - April 14, 2014
- Right-sizing Your Storage Unit - April 9, 2014
- Spring-cleaning Your Storage Unit - April 4, 2014
- Meet the Storage Unit Size Calculator - March 31, 2014
- How to Monitor Your Storage Unit’s Climate Control - March 24, 2014