Nurseries tend to be small, but babies need tons of stuff. Without a little planning, it would be easy to end up with a nursery overflowing with stacks of diapers, piles of stuffed toys, and mountains of onesies.
How can you avoid that fate? The goal is to design a well-organized room in which there’s a space for everything. Here are some tips to get you started.
Tip 1: Make good use of the closet. If you don’t have a shelf up top, install one with a rod underneath. Line up canvas baskets on the shelf, filled with things like blankets, extra diapers, and baby towels. Hang your nicer baby clothes from the rod and use a hanging closet organizer for other items that won’t hang, even things like toys and books.
Tip 2: Take advantage of your doors. The backs of the room’s door and the closet door offer important space for storing smaller things. Hang over-to-door shoe organizers to keep extra wipes, diapers, small stuffed animals, bibs, socks, and even clothes.
Tip 3: Use under-the-crib space. Find a crib with a bottom drawer to store things you don’t need daily, like off-season clothes. Alternately, stick more canvas baskets under the crib with such items, or even pack things you aren’t using in vacuum bags to store under there.
Tip 4: Go vertical. Use shelves and hooks on the walls to hold things like coats, hats, toys, and books. Set up a tall bookshelf to store everything you can’t put in the closet, or put a hutch atop your changing table to get some shelf space. Just see that any wall shelves aren’t over the crib, and make sure your tall bookshelf won’t tip when grabbed by a toddler.
Tip 5: Organize your gear. Keep a basket of well-organized diapers and wipes on top of the changing table. This can also keep diaper cream, hand sanitizer, a toy to distract the baby while diapering, and anything else you regularly use. This little basket will keep half-used bags of diapers from taking over your area, and will help you monitor when you need to order more.
How big is your nursery? What are you favorite nursery organization tips?
- DIY Gifts from the Heart: Celebrate Your Valentine’s Achievements - February 5, 2016
- 5 Tips to Keep Your House Organized in the Winter - January 19, 2016
- The Ultimate Declutter Guide: Tips on How to Organize - January 14, 2016
- How to Set the Best New Year’s Resolutions - December 30, 2015
- Holiday Decorations to Create and Keep Forever - December 16, 2015
- The Perfect Gifts to Make for Loved Ones - December 7, 2015
- #GettingToTomorrow: The Best Advice for Making it Through Your Personal Apocalypse - December 4, 2015
- 5 Ways to Save Thanksgiving Recipes - November 17, 2015
- Should You Consider Moving Somewhere New? - November 12, 2015
- How to Preserve a Wedding Dress for Future Daughters - November 3, 2015