Cicero said that “a room without books is like a body without a soul.” Luckily, books are as attractive to display as they are important to read. A well-organized bookshelf can add that special touch of warmth and visual interest to an otherwise unremarkable room.
And if you’re interested in getting a little creative, books can be the catalyst for some intriguing design ideas. Every nook and cranny of your house has the potential to store and display books, and there are shelves and furniture of all descriptions to make organizing them more fun.
Bookshelves are the standard choice for storing books, of course. But bookshelves of usual shapes make things much more interesting. For instance, store your reading material on spirals, curlicues, yin-yangs, words, DNA strands, dogs, or wheels. Or go for the charmingly messy look with a conglomeration of crates.
Various pieces of furniture can also be transformed into book storage and display devices. Chairs lend themselves well to this, as in this chair bookcase, the “Bibliochaise,” this rolling chair-shelf combo, and this chair-shelf hybrid.
If you really can’t find any other place for your books, you can always go with storing them in the rafters or using your bookshelf as a room divider. The book-storage options really are as numerous as the books themselves.
How do you store your books? What creative book storage solutions have you come across?
- Colorado Springs Gains 24/7 Access Storage Option - November 14, 2013
- Bring Fall to you With a DIY Fall Festival - November 11, 2013
- Fast-Growing Palm Coast, Florida, Gets the Storage it Needs - November 9, 2013
- DIY: No-sew Curtains and Shades - November 4, 2013
- Three Easy Ways to Decorate Your Home for Fall - November 1, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Halloween Tricks and Treats - October 30, 2013
- Why Getting Your Deck Ready for Winter isn’t as Bad as You Think - October 25, 2013
- Survive Fall Sports Season With These Storage Tips - October 21, 2013
- Pinterest Favorites: Decorating with Fall Colors - October 18, 2013
- Would you Peg Your Storage with SmartJars? New idea on Kickstarter - October 16, 2013