Since I care about the environmental and financial benefits of saving energy, I spend a lot of time making sure Extra Space Storage properties are energy efficient. I also put that passion for energy efficiency to work at my home on weekends!
Believe it or not, there are plenty of weekend projects you can complete that will make a difference all year long when it comes to your utility bill, and your impact on the environment. Other tasks may take just five minutes to complete. And sometimes you won’t need to get out the tools at all. You can just develop a new, energy-saving habit like using a ceiling fan.
Since heating and cooling account for the biggest portion of home utility bills, most of my suggestions below are aimed at helping you have a comfortable home while still saving money on utility bills. So, here’s to being more comfortable and saving money in 2013:
- Insulate and seal your attic.
- Caulk and apply weather stripping around windows and doors. Don’t forget to replace worn weather stripping.
- Install removable interior storm windows to improve the efficiency of older windows. Or, if it’s in the budget, install newer, more efficient windows.
- Establish a regular routine for replacing or cleaning air conditioning and furnace filters. Put that smartphone to work by setting reminders for yourself!
- Use ceiling fans to circulate air, helping you to rely less on your heater and air conditioner. Blades should rotate counterclockwise in summer, and clockwise in winter.
- Utilize landscaping (trees, shrubs and vines) to keep your home cooler in warm weather.
- Lower the thermostat on your hot water heater.
- Reduce hot water use by repairing leaks, and installing low-flow fixtures in your bathroom.
- Install motion sensors or timers on external lighting.
- Switch to CFLs inside for your most frequently used light fixtures.
If these tasks seem dull, just think about what fun you can have with the money you’ll save after all your hard work!
Do you plan on taking steps to improve the energy efficiency of your home? Have you tackled any weekend energy-saving projects recently?
- How to Pack Wine Glasses (The Easy Way) - May 14, 2014
- Cheat Sheet: Your Moving Day Checklist - May 12, 2014
- Just How Big is that Storage Unit? - May 9, 2014
- Safely Store Your RV - April 28, 2014
- 5 Tips for Packing Your Stuff for Storage - April 21, 2014
- Storing Your Cold-Weather Items - April 14, 2014
- Right-sizing Your Storage Unit - April 9, 2014
- Spring-cleaning Your Storage Unit - April 4, 2014
- Meet the Storage Unit Size Calculator - March 31, 2014
- How to Monitor Your Storage Unit’s Climate Control - March 24, 2014