The holiday season is my favorite time of year. That cheery spirit’s in the air, and there’s always an excuse to eat cookies. So it’s a shame that the need to spend so much money on gifts can cast a pall over things.
To protect my wallet this year, I decided to find fun gift ideas I can make myself. I started out dubious, wondering whether I’d just end up giving everybody lame handmade cards. But I found a treasure trove of possibilities. Here are some of my favorites:
Things to wear
- These floral shoe clips liven up even the most staid flats.
- What to make someone who has everything? Why, button earrings, of course!
- Try your hand at felting, with these sweater mittens.
- This necktie eyeglass case is useful and classy, not to mention imaginative.
Food and treats
- Got a spice-lover in the family? Try this Take No Prisoners hot sauce.
- Or a citrus-lover? How about candied grapefruit zest?
- Of course you can’t go wrong with chocolate ganache truffles.
- And then there’s always that perennial classic: Jam.
For the home
- This sailor’s knot trivet is simple and beautiful.
- Whimsical chalkboard coasters can add a touch of fun to the living room.
- Try making these round candleholders using water balloons.
- This woven cork tray will look like something you spent a bundle on.
- These decorative bottle stoppers would make good stocking stuffers.
What are you favorite DIY gift ideas?