This summer was so HOT! I saw rain only two times throughout the summer. This wasn’t the case just in Utah (where I live) but all over the US. Our nation is facing a devastating drought, which is affecting the economy and our everyday lives. It’s up to us to do our part to reduce our consumption of water.
I was in the shower the other morning and read the following message on my shampoo bottle:
“Did you know that your family could save up to $150 and 3,200 gallons of water per year by turning off the water when you shampoo and condition?”
What a simple yet effective idea. Did you know that showering just one minute less each day will save almost 2,000 gallons of water each year? These examples show how a small change in your habits can have a positive effect on the environment.
It’s estimated that 20% of the world’s available drinking water is flushed down the drain. What an AWFUL statistic. Companies are now developing products and systems that will help us reduce the amount of water we use. I recently purchased a shower head that has an EcoFlow setting which is designed to optimize water output and saves ½ gallon of water per minute. There’s definitely a difference in water pressure when I use this setting, but the warm fuzzies make it worth it!
Toilets are also being designed to now save more water. The new, high-efficiency toilets use a gallon less of water per flush than the recent high-efficiency toilets. There’s also been some significant advancements with urinals. I was shocked to walk into a men’s restroom the other day to find waterless urinals! I’m pretty sure I got some weird looks from guys as I stood there admiring/inspecting the urinal.
Every day, more and more people start taking steps to reduce their usage of water. Whether it be turning the faucet off while brushing your teeth or purchasing a front load washing machine, these small choices are important and can have a significant impact on the environment.
How have you been able to reduce your consumption of water? Any tips?
- Five More Storage Containers You Can Make Yourself - February 19, 2015
- There’s No Overpopulation Here - February 12, 2015
- Make These 7 New Year’s Resolutions to Conquer Clutter in 2015 - December 26, 2014
- The Luxurious World of Self Storage - December 17, 2014
- The Top Organizing Tip You’ll Ever Learn - November 17, 2014
- 5 Toys Your Kids Played With You Shouldn’t Throw Away - November 14, 2014
- Extra Space Storage Customer Turns Into a Hero for Veterans - November 11, 2014
- The Haunted House of Clutter – 12 Tips to Prevent Scary Clutter - October 29, 2014
- Fame, Sweet Fame - October 17, 2014
- DIY Fun: Hands-on Projects for Kids - October 15, 2014