You might have heard that Extra Space Storage is going green. So, I’m trying not to hit you over the head with a big green bat, but I’m excited to tell you more about our progress with solar power. As the second-largest self-storage company in the U.S. with facilities in 34 states, we take our commitment to sustainable energy seriously, as you’ve probably figured out.
See the Power in our Infographic
Last year, we created a solar power infographic to help shareholders, customers and all interested eyes visualize our journey down the bright solar path. You can take a look at it here. Since we created our solar power infographic, we’ve steadily moved forward with capturing the sun’s energy to make eco-minded storage a sunny reality at several locations.
Last Year was Bright
In 2011, Extra Space Storage completed 51 solar installations using approximately 22,000 solar panels. In 2011, we generated approximately 500,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of solar power. For the sites that have been fully converted to solar with net metering, our electricity reduction is at 80 to 90 percent.
But 2012 will be on Fire
At the end of June 2012, we finalized solar installations at another group of storage facilities. Solar-wise, we’ve gotten a lot accomplished, but we’re not stopping now. We’re working steadily throughout 2012 to complete solar installations at additional facilities.
Though the Best is yet to Come
While we didn’t get solar panels installed as quickly as we’d forecast in our solar power infographic, we’re making steadfast progress, and expect that we’ll see a great leap in our solar production rates for 2012. Check back with us soon for more details on our solar panel installations.
When considering the features that are important to you in a self-storage facility, how do you rate solar power? What other sustainability initiatives do you hope to find at a self-storage facility? If you had one question about solar power, what would it be?
- How to Pack Wine Glasses (The Easy Way) - May 14, 2014
- Cheat Sheet: Your Moving Day Checklist - May 12, 2014
- Just How Big is that Storage Unit? - May 9, 2014
- Safely Store Your RV - April 28, 2014
- 5 Tips for Packing Your Stuff for Storage - April 21, 2014
- Storing Your Cold-Weather Items - April 14, 2014
- Right-sizing Your Storage Unit - April 9, 2014
- Spring-cleaning Your Storage Unit - April 4, 2014
- Meet the Storage Unit Size Calculator - March 31, 2014
- How to Monitor Your Storage Unit’s Climate Control - March 24, 2014