We’ve all seen the candy apple red 1961 Ferrari 250 GT convertible in the classic film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. If you haven’t seen this movie, do yourself a favor – drop everything and go rent this movie. Better yet, find it online and buy it! It’s that good. At the climax of the movie, Ferris’ friend Cameron takes a stand against his dad’s obsessive and unhealthy love for this car (warning to car lovers: viewer discretion is advised):
Every swift kick to the front of the car makes a car lover’s heart sink. The crash out the window, through the trees and smashing into the ground is almost enough to make any car enthusiast vomit.
Moral of the story – even a gorgeous, museum like, non-cluttered garage couldn’t protect this gem of a car from a depressed, angsty, attention deprived teenage son. Should’ve kept it in a private, security monitored, locked storage unit!
The Benefits of Storing Your Classic Car
There are many appealing things about storing your expensive, classic car. Some of the most notable are listed below:
- Get your garage back! If your classic car sees the inside of your garage more than the road, storage is for you. Moving it out of your garage will free up space for your everyday car – protecting it from the elements and burglars.
- Stop piling things on top of your classic car! If your garage looks anything like the one below, you’ve got to get your car out of there. A cluttered and messy garage broadens the risk of something falling on top of your car or rubbing/smashing the side of your car. There are too many bad things that could happen if you leave your car there (you don’t want it looking like the picture below, do you?)
- There are many different sizes of self storage units – allowing you to pick and choose one that will give sufficient space. The many different sizes available allow unlimited possibilities to best suit your car loving wants and needs.
Choosing the Proper Facility
Some storage facilities are specifically designed and geared toward car storage. These provide special amenities and services that other storage facilities will not. These may include:
- Additional security – such as 24/7 internet viewing of your vehicle (so you can blow it kisses and whisper “goodnight”), individual unit alarms, etc.
- Extended access hours
- Air pumps, car washes, climate controlled units, etc.
These types of facilities also allow one to mingle with other car aficionados and can provide great information on organized car clubs.
It’s important to determine the amount of protection, security, and privacy you will want in these facilities. Some classic car storage facilities are designed like an open ware house, with each vehicle assigned to its own “parking” spot. These will provide an opportunity to easily mingle with other car lovers, but may not provide the protection and security you want for your vehicle.
Please, Please, Please Stay Current on Your Storage Unit!
One of the most important things to consider before putting your car into storage is the unit price and affordability. Stop and think about the value of your car, both monetary and sentimental. How devastated would you be if you were to lose your car? It’s important to know your budget and be 100% sure you can afford to make the monthly payment. Shows like Storage Wars and Auction Hunters provide a quick education on what will happen to your vehicle if your unit isn’t paid (someone else’s grubby mitts on your precious baby? GASP!).
Be sure to clearly understand the payment policy of the storage facility. It may be in your best interest to set up automatic withdrawal/payments from your account or to pay 3, 6, or 12 month lump sums in advance of when they are due. This will ensure your account is current and there is no chance of your storage unit and/or classic car being auctioned off (which, in my opinion would be even worse than having your car kicked and driven out a window by your angsty teenager).
- 10 Storage Fails That’ll Make You Laugh - August 26, 2015
- Remodeling the American Landscape: Changing Buildings into Self Storage - August 6, 2015
- 10 Funniest Internet Photos About Storage and Moving - July 13, 2015
- Entrepreneurs Debate Glitzy Office Space or Bare-Bone Unit - July 9, 2015
- Shop-Happy Americans Have Plenty to Store (shocking stats) - June 11, 2015
- The Notable Portable - May 20, 2015
- 7 Reactions to Storage That Will Make You Laugh - April 21, 2015
- Bigger IS Better, Right? - April 16, 2015
- Five More Storage Containers You Can Make Yourself - February 19, 2015
- There’s No Overpopulation Here - February 12, 2015