Every man needs a place to call his own – where he can escape life’s stresses and submerse himself in the things that he enjoys most, without interruption – an area often known as “the man cave.”
Some men design their future homes to include a specific room for their manly hobbies and interests, while others remodel and convert an existing room or garage into their ultimate man cave. And if neither of those options work, or, frankly you need a little more freedom, there’s also a third option: renting a self storage unit.
Although hard to believe, the self storage man cave is growing in popularity much faster than converted garages or basements. If you want a place to call your own but don’t have the space for it, this is not only a viable option, but a cost-friendly one as well. Whether you need a place for large toys (e.g. vintage cars, boats, RVs, etc…), a workshop, band practice, or just to escape from the stresses of the world, a self storage unit could be your answer. Another positive to the self storage man cave is that it provides physical separation from one’s house, decreasing the possibility of unwanted interruptions.
Here’s an example of a self storage man cave that – although I hate to admit it – puts my own man cave to shame:
Is Your Storage Unit Man Cave Friendly?
It’s important to note that not all storage facilities are created equal, and therefore may not provide the best option for a man cave. Do your research to make sure you choose the facility that will best suit your needs. The following are some important things to consider:
- Utilities – Is heating and cooling important to you? What about plumbing? You may assume both are included, but some storage units don’t even have access to electricity. Check all the amenities beforehand and be sure to find one that has the utilities you desire.
- Size – How big of a storage unit do you need? What types of furniture or toys will you be placing in your man cave? It’s important to think about this before you sign so you have sufficient space to make a comfortable man cave, while not overpaying for a unit that is too large. Ask your facility manager to help with size estimations.
- Security – With the amount of money you may invest in your man cave, security should be one of your top priorities when choosing a unit and facility. On-site managers, electronic gate access, surrounding fences, security cameras, and alarms for individual units greatly protect one’s possessions. Find a storage facility that has a level of security that you feel comfortable with.
- Access – When will you want to spend time in your man cave? Many storage facilities have specific access hours and are not accessible 24/7. Think ahead and make sure you will be able to access your unit when you desire and that the hours won’t interfere with your well deserved man time.
- Pricing– Do you want to rent or own your unit? The typical storage unit is rented on a month-to-month or term basis; however, some luxury units can be purchased. If this is a long-term commitment, purchasing the unit may save money in the long run. However, if you’re unsure how long your man cave commitment will be, renting may be the better option. Sit down and do the math before any paperwork is signed so you can be sure you’ve decided on the best option.
Using self storage for a man cave may not be for every man, it does, however, provide a good option if you do not have the extra space at your current residence. So, do your research and get that extra room or garage back, and rent your very own space as far away from your house as you wish. Many hours of joyous experiences with the boys are right around the corner at your local self storage facility.
- The Notable Portable - May 20, 2015
- 7 Reactions to Storage That Will Make You Laugh - April 21, 2015
- Bigger IS Better, Right? - April 16, 2015
- Five More Storage Containers You Can Make Yourself - February 19, 2015
- There’s No Overpopulation Here - February 12, 2015
- Make These 7 New Year’s Resolutions to Conquer Clutter in 2015 - December 26, 2014
- The Luxurious World of Self Storage - December 17, 2014
- The Top Organizing Tip You’ll Ever Learn - November 17, 2014
- 5 Toys Your Kids Played With You Shouldn’t Throw Away - November 14, 2014
- Extra Space Storage Customer Turns Into a Hero for Veterans - November 11, 2014