Welcome to Extra Space Storage’s blog. I’m the head of marketing and corporate communications with Extra Space Storage. I joined Extra Space in 1999 after working in financial services and high tech. I enjoy skiing, fishing and golf. (I really suck at golf; don’t ever pick up golf when you turn 40. I should’ve taken up bowling or fencing.) When I joined Extra Space Storage, we had 12 properties so I’ve seen just about it all. It’s a great company to work for and there is never a dull day in the storage industry.
At Extra Space Storage we are always looking for ways to interact with our nearly 500,000 customers and this blog will be a way of sharing helpful, informative and hopefully entertaining information about Extra Space Storage, the day-to-day activities at some of our properties, and the self-storage industry.
So, here’s some background on the company: First, the company. Extra Space Storage is the second largest self-storage company in the United States and the world – we’re kind of the Miller Beer of the storage world – Public Storage is the largest, they’re the Budweiser of the storage industry. They have like a million self-storage properties. I heard they put one in Antarctica. Extra Space Storage has been around in some capacity since 1977 – the first property was built in Billings, Montana. Has anyone out there ever been to Billings, Montana? I have! I grew up there. It’s called the Magic City because of a high population of amateur, professional, and wannabe magicians. Now, Extra Space Storage has over 850 properties in 34 states including Washington, D.C. That seems like a lot, but there are over 50,000 self-storage properties in the U.S. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a storage property. That’s all I have time for now, there’s more to come, so stay tuned.
- Extra Space Named a Top Investment Pick for 2014 - January 31, 2014
- New Spot for your Stuff in Downtown Chicago - December 20, 2013
- Family Feud Meets Self Storage – Infographic - December 4, 2013
- New Storage in Richmond, California - November 20, 2013
- Where to Stow your Bikes, Skis, and Boots in Colorado Springs - November 19, 2013
- Westminster, Colorado, Gets the Storage It Deserves - November 17, 2013
- Newly Launched Storage Customer App - June 17, 2013
- Best of Extra Space Storage: 900 Nationwide Facilities, Budget Truck Rental Partnership and Our Spanish Mobile Site - August 10, 2012
- The Extra Space Storage Genesis - January 18, 2012
- A Message to Kris Humphries - November 17, 2011